My favorite role in my life is being a mother,
and part of being able to do that job well has been healing the parts of me that I don't want to pass down to my daughter, and her daughter, and on and on. Learning how to heal myself, how to be present, how to communicate and honor my needs while still serving others; has enriched my work as a doula, healer and student midwife. "I didn't choose this path, it chose me", is a pretty common feeling amongst birthworkers, and that is precisely my story. When I was in second grade my school had a presentation on "weird jobs" or something like that, and one of the jobs was a midwife. I thought it was the coolest sounding job ever, and I always knew that is what I wanted to do. It's also the sort of job where the path isn't exactly point A to point B. I started by taking all sorts of workshops and trainings in many modalities of healing to ease my way in to working with women, babies, families and birth. Despite the countless hours and dollars I put in learning the skills, the most important part of my path has been the ways in which I have learned to heal myself and the adverse experiences I have come out of. Knowing first hand what it is like to experience and heal from a birth experience that didn't go as planned, postpartum depression, anxiety, PTSD, loss, grief, trauma and physical maladies that can sometimes go along with being a new mother has been the most valuable training I have had that has prepared me to work with women.
I have been serving families as a birth & postpartum doula since 2014 when my own daughter was just 6 months old. I am blessed and grateful to be apprenticing under the midwife I attended my first birth with, and will be graduating with a bachelor's of science in midwifery as a certified professional midwife from the Midwives College of Utah, a school that is both nationally and MEAC accredited, in December 2018. In no particular order, these are the trainings and certifications I have completed:
- Twin Lakes College of Healing Arts- Certified Massage Practitioner-Santa Cruz, CA- 2011
- Yoga Alliance 200 hour Registered Yoga Teacher-Boulder, Colorado- 2009
- DONA Doula Training- Boulder, Colorado- 2010
- Heart and Hands Midwifery Workshop & Doula Training- Fairfax, CA-2014
- The Matrona School of Quantum Midwifery- Certified Holistic Doula- Santa Cruz, CA - 2016
- Source Tantra School Women's Immersion -Boulder Creek, CA- 2012
- Psalm Isadora Women's Tantra Yoga Intensive - San Francisco, CA-2012
- Integrative Resuscitation of the Newborn with Karen Strange- NRP/AAP- Los Gatos, CA-2017
- Basic Life Support & CPR certification- renewed as needed
- Spinning Babies with Gail Tully- San Jose, CA- 2015
- The Birth Coach Method - Santa Cruz, CA- 2015
- KidYoga training- Santa Cruz, CA- 2012
- Cultural Competency and Evidence Informed Practice with Courtney L. Everson, Ph.D- 2015
- Midwives College of Utah- college-level accredited courses in Homeopathy, North American Traditional Herbalism, Acupressure, Lactation & Breastfeeding, Nutrition and many more- ongoing- 2014 to present.
I want every soul coming into earth to have the possibility of a gentle, compassionate and beautiful entrance so that their brains are hardwired for love and connection, and their families experience the maximum amount of bonding possible so that we can grow happier and healthier communities with each birth, generation by generation. Peace on earth starts *before* birth, maybe even before conception, by educating and empowering women to own their bodies and trust themselves, so that they can carry the new generation with presence and love. Birth is a rite of passage and a spiritual experience and should be revered as such!
While I love supporting women in their pregnancy and postpartum times, I also do holistic health coaching for women nowhere near thinking about having kids, trying to conceive, new mothers and everywhere in between. Life can feel like you're stuck in a contraction sometimes, and it helps to have someone there to remind you of the expansion and bliss that is possible on the other side.
On a personal note, my daughter was born November 2nd, 2013 after 22 hours of intense back labor on a new moon and solar eclipse. She's a scorpio sun and moon, gemini rising and a whole lot of beautiful intensity that has taught me so much about how to love and how to be present. I got married to the love of my life over 4 years ago after a whirlwind romance that started by meeting by chance on the beach, and we live in the redwoods of Santa Cruz with our now 3 and a half year old little girl. I love my life, every part of it.